UAW was established on August 26, 1935

The International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) was founded on August 26, 1935 in Detroit, Michigan as United Automobile Workers of America.

In 1941, the union’s official name changed to United Automobile, Aircraft and Agricultural Implement Workers of America to reflect the union’s expansion representing workers in other employment sectors.

The union’s name was updated in 1962 to International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America and continues to be used to this day.